Buckeye Treasure Hunter

Stock Pro Coil vs. SEF coil

to discuss prices, programs, coils, strengths/weakness etc.

Re: Stock Pro Coil vs. SEF coil

Postby OhioCoinHunter » 08 Dec 2010, 19:15

Bell-Two wrote:I really figured that Dan, that is why I replied in jest as well :lol: Talking about coils, what if anything does SEF stand for or is it just a name? Are these the coils that are made in Bulgaria, I thought I had read that somewhere? I have been following this thread with interest for all the great info it contains.

It was early this morning when I read your post before going to work. Yes, I see yours was also in jest. :D Here's what it says on the sef coil box:

The DOUBLE ELLIPTICAL coil with Symmetric Electro-magnetic Field is the best performance coil. Compared to the Double D coils it has the following advantages:

- better ground balance
-more stable operation
-deeper in the ground
-better pinpointing
-more accurate target identification

The Kellyco site says they are manufactured in Bulgaria.

I own the 6x8, the 10x12 and the 15x12. I've struck silver with all of them. Again, my favorite one is the 10x12. It won't find a 20-inch deep dime, but it has found me Indian head cents in areas I have previously hunted with the Pro coil. One such area was ground between a huge tree and a small road. I hunted it with the Pro coil and didn't find anything. When I went back to the exact same area with the 10x12, I dug several deep indians and was amazed. The coil also hits harder on nickels and separates extremely well.

I bought the 6x8 after hunting a very trashy picnic area with my Pro coil. I was literally just standing in one spot, for the most part, slowly working the coil trying to separate the targets. It was frustrating. When I went back with the 6x8, it was easier to pull the coins out from the junk. I don't use it much, but it's great to have when you need it. The first time I put it on my detector I found two silver dimes in an area I had already hit hard several times. That's a big confidence booster.

The coil I use the least is the big 15x12. But it also has found silver for me multiple times.

I could live without the 6x8 and the 15x12. However, concerning the 10x12 sef butterfly coil, I must quote the late great Charlton Heston:

"...from my cold dead hands!" :D
Last edited by OhioCoinHunter on 08 Dec 2010, 19:26, edited 1 time in total.
Minelab E-trac with the Sunray X-1 probe, 15x12, 8x6 & 10x12 SEF Butterfly Coils
OhioCoinHunter

Metal Detector used: Minelab E-trac

Postby M-scope » 08 Dec 2010, 19:22

Goes4ever wrote: honestly it is a pain in the butt to change, and I have the extra lower shaft, the SEF wire is a tad bit bigger and it is a real pain in the @ss to get it up thru the top shaft, I even tied a string to it and tried to pull it thru, I said heck with it and just don't use it,l

Sorry to hear that you've had problems.....I Really just LOVE how FAST I can change between my SEF and Pro-coil...Its GREAT!!!..And I dont even have an extra lower rod!....Un-bolt coil-flip-clips, slide out cable,slide other in, connect,re-bolt, flip clips, then done!.My cable on my SEF glides through with ease!..No extra cables to wrap/twist excess around shaft like on my other units. Very nice Idea from Minelab to have the cable inside the shaft!..My SEF fits perfectly AND installs very fast!!!... 8)
Most Memorables;
1791 Spanish 2 Reale
1802 Draped Bust LC
1853 Seated Dime w/arrows
1872 Canadian Quarter
1876 CC Seated dime
M-scope

Metal Detector used: Various

Postby OhioCoinHunter » 08 Dec 2010, 19:25

I don't bother threading the coil cable through the shaft. Leaving it on the outside makes changing coils quick and easy. I've noticed other E-trac users do the same thing.
Minelab E-trac with the Sunray X-1 probe, 15x12, 8x6 & 10x12 SEF Butterfly Coils
OhioCoinHunter

Postby Nick A » 08 Dec 2010, 19:27

Does sound like you got a lemon. Or one someone dropped off back of the truck. Sorry to hear that, I hope you can get it serviced and put right. I definitely would not put any money into another coil until you know your unit is 100%.

Those old Fishers are GREAT machines. I swung a bunch of CZs before I watched Minelab guys kick my butt. Watching a guy with an Explorer pull a seated dime out from an area I covered many times with the CZ was my final wake up call. First an Explorer and now the E-Trac.

I'm not brand loyal, I want results. When I see some other machine outperforming what I can do with my machine. I'll switch. If you want to see me with an F75, show me that you can kick my butt with it in these old Columbus parks.
Ohio Metal Detecting website http://www.ohiometaldetecting.com
Ohio Metal Detecting Magazine http://www.ohiometaldetecting.com/magazine.html
Central Ohio Metal Detecting Association http://www.ohiodetecting.com/
Nick A

Postby Goes4ever » 08 Dec 2010, 19:40

OhioCoinHunter wrote:I don't bother threading the coil cable through the shaft. Leaving it on the outside makes changing coils quick and easy. I've noticed other E-trac users do the same thing.

I can't do that Dan, you have a probe and yours connects on outside, I don't have a probe, so mine MUST go up the shaft, it is my only option
Visit my site for etrac settings, tips and help, detecting videos, pictures of my finds, stories and more!
http://www.goes4ever.com/
Goes4ever
Site Admin
Site Admin

Metal Detector used: Etrac

Postby OhioCoinHunter » 08 Dec 2010, 19:45

Quote from M-scope: Seems no-one else here has ever had any issues with their machine!?

My E-trac died last year and I had to send it in to Minelab. They replaced the printed circuit board and I haven't had a problem since. I got it back in...I think...three weeks. I'm sure they will service your E-trac and it will work great.
OhioCoinHunter

Postby OhioCoinHunter » 08 Dec 2010, 19:50

Goes4ever wrote:
OhioCoinHunter wrote:I don't bother threading the coil cable through the shaft. Leaving it on the outside makes changing coils quick and easy. I've noticed other E-trac users do the same thing.

I can't do that Dan, you have a probe and yours connects on outside, I don't have a probe, so mine MUST go up the shaft, it is my only option

Oh, I see, Terry.
OhioCoinHunter

Postby M-scope » 08 Dec 2010, 19:57

Nick A wrote:Does sound like you got a lemon. Or one someone dropped off back of the truck. Sorry to hear that, I hope you can get it serviced and put right. I definitely would not put any money into another coil until you know your unit is 100%.

Those old Fishers are GREAT machines. I swung a bunch of CZs before I watched Minelab guys kick my butt. Watching a guy with an Explorer pull a seated dime out from an area I covered many times with the CZ was my final wake up call. First an Explorer and now the E-Trac.

I'm not brand loyal, I want results. When I see some other machine outperforming what I can do with my machine. I'll switch. If you want to see me with an F75, show me that you can kick my butt with it in these old Columbus parks.

No, I'm not even going to use it anymore. Spent a good part of this morning looking for my papers/reciepts on warranty etc..for it. Going to try to call in the morning to see whats next!?..
As far as the F75 LTD, I know you can really use your e-trac well, and have much more of an understanding of your unit than I do mine, and alot more experience with it.... I as well, am NOT brand loyal and also go where the results come from. I have a select few Fishers that I will NEVER get rid of...I sold my LTD to give the E-trac a run... My experiences with both machines, good and bad, often leaves me wondering!?....Thats all, I'd just Like to see what it (LTD}could do with your paws around it for a season...!?
Most Memorables;
1791 Spanish 2 Reale
1802 Draped Bust LC
1853 Seated Dime w/arrows
1872 Canadian Quarter
1876 CC Seated dime
M-scope

Metal Detector used: Various

Postby CDDZ » 09 Dec 2010, 13:47

M-scope wrote:
Nick A wrote:
M-scope wrote:I NEED more depth out of this unit....

Huh? You want something that can find a dime at 20"? The E-Trac with the stock coil is by far the deepest seeking (and IDing) machine I have ever used. What kind of sites are you hunting that you would be finding items at 12" or more regularly?!

M-scope wrote:Going to dabble with Manual sensitivity more this year

Dabble away, I started using manual sensitivity and running hot, and I found LESS than using auto +3. In manual sens, you are overloading the machine and will miss co-located targets as the machine will not separate as well.

While the machine goes deep, I have found that the real advantage of the machine is target separation, and pulling coins out of the trash.

YEP!...I ALWAYS NEED more depth!...A dime at 20 sure would be nice! :wink: ...Seriously, I have a problem going on with a fluctuating volume, Unit has shut down completely without warning of "over-load" etc.. 2 times in the past month,sometimes will run on a fully charged battery for a day.Other times only a few hours...I had a back-up unit with me the last time I worked a certain sidewalk strip next to a park. I worked the trac in both coin and re-worked it in TTF. I went through it again with my back-up and pulled more wheats and silvers at varied depths and were approx 6-10" So, I bought the SEF hoping this would improve my depth issues!? I'm almost positive now that this(*****MY*****) unit is BAD!!!..... In tried to contact Mike to see if/what he could suggest. Who to call?Warranty repairs? etc...... I found a Minelab customer service number on another forum. I have to get this boxed up and sent in. I got a lemon with issues! I KNOW IT!!!....Seems no-one else here has ever had any issues with their machine!? Well, I am.... Bought it off the bay-supposedly "NEW"!? It had been removed from the factory box WAYYYY more than once. I questioned the seller about it and he said it WAS new and I could return it if I wanted!? I didnt! I should have!! The foam grip was even torn!.(he did send me a new foam)...So, I guess me being in a bigtime rush to get my hands on an E-trac has had some fallback!?.....Maybe you can see now ,why I have not been real thrilled as of late with my depth, and having problems with battery life etc. And yes, currently , my $380.00 1988 1265X and my old CZ6 is pulling deeper stuff pretty easily behind ***MY*** faulty? E-trac.It still ID's great on the shallower stuff and works well in TTF until the volume muffles on occaision....And Nick, I'd like to see YOU with an F75 LIMITED EDITION in your hands without bias for just *1* full season!...But, I know..... :roll:

Sounds like you have a bad battery pack. One of the cells is bad :(
CDDZ

Metal Detector used: CTX 3030, Etrac, DMC IIB, Compotter

Postby teverly » 09 Dec 2010, 14:45

m scope..i would definately say you got a bad machine..... i say if you are going behind the etrac with a machine you have used for years you are finding more 1st because the etrac you have is not working properly,and 2nd it is because you have a lot of experience with your other machines......
I love the etrac,but i have always said that if some one knows the machine they hunt with the can do great....i hunt with a guy that uses an ace 250 and he makes a lot of great finds with it because he uses it exclusively and knows it front and back......
Goesforever i assume you do not have the x1 pinpointer on your machine..another plus of it is that changing coils is a breeze......
But again i think the thing that can not be stated enough is that if you are comfortable with the coil you are using and you know what it is telling you then hunt with it....
MY experience with the SEF coil in side by side with the pro coil is that the sounds are clearer and it seperates in trash better to me.....i am not saying the pro coil is a bad coil..i took the new etrac out that i bought that has the pro coil and the 1st thing i found with was a roosevelt dime about 7" deep....and i hunted the 1st year with my etrac with the pro coil and found plenty of deep targets......
A bad day detecting is better than a good day at anything else!
teverly

Metal Detector used: ETRAC

Previous

Return to Minelab