Buckeye Treasure Hunter

Ohio state parks

discuss laws

Ohio state parks

Postby buckeyehunter » 12 Jan 2008, 03:02

found this on the ohio state park website:

Can I use a metal detector?

Use of metal detectors is allowed on the sandy portion of the beach area at any of our state park beaches. Written permission must be obtained from the park manager at the park of your choice to use a metal detector in any other park area. Back to top

http://www.dnr.state.oh.us/parks/tabid/80/Default.aspx
buckeyehunter
Site Admin
Site Admin

Metal Detector used: Minelab CTX

Postby daytondigger » 26 Jan 2008, 23:26

I've known this for some time and have tried many times to get that written permission for other areas with no luck.
Dayton Diggers...Historical Research & Recovery
daytondigger

Metal Detector used: Fisher

Postby Monk » 17 Apr 2008, 18:30

M/D are allowed at Ohio State Parks at the beach. The beach is defined as from the sandy beach out to the boeys. No permission needed! It has already been given and signed into law by the head of parks and the Governor of Ohio. Some smaller park managers have taken it upon themselfs to keep M/Ds off the beachs during peak hours. Thats fine with me , who wants to be there when people are loosing stuff? Usely it's OK till 10:am and after 7:pm. The larger beachs such as Alum Creek were open to M/Ds any time of day. And I say again you don't have to ask to search the beach area, but you will to use your locator anywhere else in the park. Monk
Life isn't a problem to be solved, but a mystery to be lived.
Monk

Postby Ohiotech » 21 Apr 2008, 11:09

I've called Alum and Buck, and nothing is needed for Alum creek at the beach as the Monk states. Buck wants you to have a permit only if you want to search non-beach areas.

Long of the short, the state parks just don't want you to prevent others from enjoying their stay at the park.

Just call the park in question and ask to speak to the Ranger on duty. Tell them about your hobby and that you would like to know what you should do in order to obtain your permit (they're free). Also ask them to lay out the specifics of where you cannot detect. In the case of the picnic areas, ask them specifically if it means that you cannot detect there at all or just when people are picnicking? My answer was that I could detect as long as no one is there, but that I needed to make sure that I had my permit and that I stopped by the office (if it was open) to tell them that I was there (John Bryan park). The other parks didn't care because they were beach parks. No permits or documentation to take with you.

Again, it is always in your best interest to find out what each park manager would like you to be able to do on their property. The beaches to the bouey, and not when it is busy (ask what "busy" means).

Ohiotech

PS I'll be putting my Tiger Shark to the test here real soon at Buck Creek, and testing their "don't worry about stopping by the office" comment.
After waving my detector over my wife, I can honestly say that I detected a Heart of Gold!
Ohiotech

Metal Detector used: Tesoro: Tiger Shark

Parks

Postby wds » 30 Nov 2008, 01:38

From April 1 to Oct. 31, I take care of the town park where I live. The rule generally means that you can't take any out of the park that is put there by the town or God.
What is it? Let me see! Let me see! Let me seeeeeee!
wds

Return to Ohio metal detecting laws