Buckeye Treasure Hunter

The Girtys

The Girtys

Postby nicademusx » 06 Mar 2008, 20:54

hoping some of you history buffs can help me out here.

close to florida, ohio, (which is close to me) there is an island named, Girtys island. All the information that i can find is that Gen. Anthony Wayne had cannons stationed here, but no mention of an outpost/building.

Does anyone have any idea of any of the history of said island and is the island really named after any of 'The Girtys'?

Good place to metal detect when the river goes down?
nicademusx

Postby buckeyehunter » 07 Mar 2008, 00:02

I FOUND THIS POST ON AN ARCHEOLOGY SITE

"I am currently researching Girty's Island in the Maumee River, near Florida Ohio. Looking for artifacts from a time long ago.

So far I know that Simon Girty hid there and his brother George had a trading post, both in the 1700's. I have also learned that there was other structures built on the island in the early 1900's, one being a victorian amusement park. I have also heard rumors that there was also a dance hall at one time.

This past summer, I found the remains of an old foundation and the remains of a log used in the building with the log tag still attached. This foundation is nothing like what we see today. I am looking for information that may lead me to what remains I have found so I can identify the time period in which it was built. I am also looking to know what all structures once stood on the island. This would help date any artifacts I may find."

HERE IS SOMETHING ELSE I FOUND
Girty's Island

On the left you will see an island named after
the Girty Brothers: Simon, James and George.
It is said that the Girtys lived on this island
and that James Girty conducted a trading post
at this point. All three men were traitors to
their race, were called renegades and deserted
civilization to dwell among the savages. Simon
was the worst of the three and a man of ac-
tion. He met with the Indians in their coun-
cils and was listened to. He was present at
the burning of Colonel William Crawford
near Carey in 1792

MORE....................
Simon Girty was adopted by the Seneca as a young man and sided with the British to fight the Revolutionaries in the Ohio Territory. He was present at the gruesome death of Colonel Crawford.
Because he was such a bad guy, he's doomed to spend eternity polishing Mad Anthony Wayne's cannons, which once stood at the eastern point of Girty's Island, seven miles west of Napoleon. Although the cannons were removed long ago, Girty appears every night to polish the places where they once stood.

You might also be able to hear the cries of some of Simon's victims, screaming in pain as they're skinned alive an inch at a time. Girty never killed anyone on this island, but the screams are part of the haunting legend all the same.

HERE IS MORE
Up the river a distance about five miles from Napoleon is located "Girty Island" and "Girty's Point" which were his favorite places to retreat. Simon Girty fell from favor with the Native Americans and he retreated to the north bank of the river opposite the island where he built a cabin. Early settlers in the 1820's report finding the remains of his cabin. It was located on what now is the Gunn farm.

http://users.rootsweb.com/~ohhenry/ghost.html

Hope some of this helps, never heard of it but sounds like a very interesting place, hope some of this helps.

Mike
Your Ohio Minelab,Teknetics & Garrett Dealer
buckeyehunter
Site Admin
Site Admin

Metal Detector used: Minelab CTX

Postby stringfrenzy » 07 Mar 2008, 16:15

Very informative post Mike. Thanks for the information.
Stringfrenzy

E-Trac 8x6 S.E.F./Ultimate 13/X-1
DFX 4x6 Shooter/950/Super 12/Bigfoot/DX-1/R.A.T.S MAX
BHID
Treasure Mate
stringfrenzy

Postby nicademusx » 07 Mar 2008, 17:53

thanx for all that info, maybe you and I could go out there sometime buckeye, and look for all that great lost history.

ironically enough, one of my wife's cousins was an the run from the law and successfully hid on girty's island for about two weeks before they finally caught up with him. He's in prison now. Remember kids, it's better to turn yourself in than to be on the run.

I found out that almost all of the islands on the maumee were used at some point by indians, missionaries and traders. makes one wonder at what treasures are hidden on them.

It's always better to search an island in the summer, preferably during a drought.
nicademusx

Postby nicademusx » 07 Mar 2008, 20:53

While I'm thinking about it, Route 424 is just north of the river and goes right by the island. Route 424 was the old trail the indians used and one of the trails that Gen. Anthony Wayne used to and from Fort Defiance to The Battle of Fallen Timbers.
nicademusx

Postby stringfrenzy » 07 Mar 2008, 22:33

Also good information to know. Thanks for sharing.
Stringfrenzy

E-Trac 8x6 S.E.F./Ultimate 13/X-1
DFX 4x6 Shooter/950/Super 12/Bigfoot/DX-1/R.A.T.S MAX
BHID
Treasure Mate
stringfrenzy

Postby buckeyehunter » 07 Mar 2008, 22:37

nicademusx - i would love to hunt with you sometime this year, matter of fact, i hope to get a chance to hunt with everyone this year, everyone on here is great and the whole reason i started this is to get us ohio people together to have fun, share ideas, hunts and make new friends... i cant wait for spring.
I had never heard of girtys island but the stuff i found on it last night got me really excited for you, that place sounds amazing! hope you have some great finds!

Mike
Your Ohio Minelab,Teknetics & Garrett Dealer
buckeyehunter
Site Admin
Site Admin

Metal Detector used: Minelab CTX

Re: The Girtys

Postby sepalmer » 05 Sep 2010, 11:32

nicademusx

I think you are close to me-- I have the three volumes of Henry County History that could shed some light on the subject. Let me know and we can sit down, have a coffee and look them over.
Scott Palmer
FF/EMT/CFSI/CFEI

IF YOU HAVE TO CALL 911 IT'S TO LATE>>>
sepalmer

Metal Detector used: At Pro/Teknetics Omega/Bounty Hunter

Postby sepalmer » 11 Apr 2012, 16:36

WOOHOO----I have just gotten permission to hunt the North shore of the Maumee at girty's island( I know the owner) This is where Simon Girty built a cabin and lived. Time to gear up and hunt...

The notorious Simon Girty once resided five miles above Napoleon at a place still called "Girty's Island." His cabin was on the bank of the Maumee a few rods west of the residence of Elijah gunn. All traces of this habitation have been destroyed by culture and a fine farm now surrounds the spot.

BTW The Island is Owned by ODNR water craft division. So I assume the rules apply as in state parks ( sandy beach areas only or written permission from the park administrator)
Scott Palmer
FF/EMT/CFSI/CFEI

IF YOU HAVE TO CALL 911 IT'S TO LATE>>>
sepalmer

Metal Detector used: At Pro/Teknetics Omega/Bounty Hunter

Postby 2carps » 17 Aug 2013, 20:21

Just for your interest..my husband and I also live in Napoleon and boat to Girty's all summer..popular place to dock and "visit". He was fortunate to actually have been on Girtys in 1977 and actually was in the old general store, a two story farmhouse and a little cottage with a stone fireplace. the store had old glass counters. He saw old candy jars, old toys on the floor and a pair of old lace up women's shoes. Sad to think that is all gone now and we have often wondered what happened to it all.
2carps

Metal Detector used: Garret

Return to Pioneer days/Indian battles